The Whitney Museum chooses silence in an effort to displace, downplay, and negate valid public outrage regarding their policies, ethics and leadership. By Jamara Wakefield May 17th marked the start of the 79th Whitney Biennial. The Biennial is a contemporary art exhibition, featuring typically young and lesser-known artists, at the Whitney Museum of American Art […]
10 Favorite #FatshionFebruary Looks
#FatshionFebruary celebration is in full swing, and I couldn’t let any more time pass before honoring my favorite looks that have been linked to this revolutionary hashtag so far (no small feat choosing from hundreds of gems)!
What started as a humble tumblr account has blossomed into another Body Positive Craze, which is currently sweeping social media for its fourth year, and I for one couldn’t be more thrilled! If you’re fiending for fierce fatshion look no further; below are my 10 Favorite female #FatshionFebruary looks along with some fabulously honorable mentions. It is important for me to note that this list was made intentionally to equally highlight and celebrate people of color, continiuing to make visible and honor their truth and beauty. It was also re-worked with the intention of eliminating gender pronouns about a group of fatshionistas I admire but whose pronoun preference I wasn’t able to ask personally.
[in no particular order]
1. Literally LIVING for this ‘witchy womyn lunar goddess’ look so incredibly much that I now want everything Veronica is wearing from @killstarco & more! Also loved the coinciding Body Positive sentiments written, such as: “Never sacrifice who you are just because someone has a problem with it”!
2. It was so hard to decide which look of Carlisa’s bold #FatshionFebruary looks to choose from – ultimately this ensemble had too many fab elements to deny, and the body positive blog Carlisa writes offers styling advice from fashion to hair and everything in between.
3. Not only do I resonate with Shannon’s account name and myriad of truly unique-meets-vintage looks, but I’m SWOONING over this magical skirt (want it), which mixes all my favorite colors plus whimsical prints – not to mention those sparkly bow booties (NEED them!)
4. Beyond thankful that I get to use a double trouble look featuring these bodacious babes – Andi (left) and Kyla, who was actually one of my very first fat activist friends in life, as well as a major inspiration to love the skin I’m in. As for their look: #SOMUCHYES to this 90’s-esque number that can go from beach to street to club to couch and back again!
5. Each time one of Jess’s posts popped-up on my feed it was a punch of pure joy to the face, in fatshion form – confidence shining through every time!
6. Natalie, is a fatshion activist I’ve admired for quite some time and currently part of the #effyourbeautystandards girl gang of contributors – this look not only shows that fatty babes can rock culottes and crop tops, but that oftentimes simplicity, and self-love, is sexiest.
7. To check out Imari’s instagram & blog is to have one permanent glowing grin affixed to my face – this individual exudes style, grace, and confidence. While making it difficult for me to choose a favorite look, I’m a sucker for a size inclusive jumpsuit…especially a floral one being #WERKed so hard!
8. One more beauty making me crave this all-black-with-a-twist-look is Margot, another fatshion blogger extraordinaire! One of my all-time favorite styling tricks is the mixing of hard & soft, masculine & feminine – this ensemble is giving me all of that leather & tulle goodness and then some!
9. I love an individual who exudes style, funk, and quirk all in outfit, and that’s just what Brit has done here – adding a lippy pencil skirt to an otherwise subdued outfit provides the perfect pop that can be workplace appropriate too! Checkout online store Brit created to find pieces specifically celebrating curves, as “having a space for plus size individuals to find fashionable and affordable clothing,” is this fatshion lover’s self-described passion!
10. Not only is Tara an extremely talented artist, the looks Tara creates remind me of a mixture of ‘mad-cap’ meets ‘Mad-Men‘, with a totally unparalleled flair of edgy gracefulness & make-up perfection that I enthusiastically admire!
11. Fabulously Honorable Mentions
I would be seriously remiss if I didn’t include the ferocious fat activist Virgie Tovar, whom I’m proud to call a new friend, and whose brazenness inspires me daily. This outfit paired with Virgie’s attitude is traffic-stopping, and I love that it showcases equal parts bold and romantic silhouettes (so much that I had to tag this photo #FatshionFebruary myself so I could include it here)! Join Virgie’s latest crusade against the disgusting diet industry and #LoseHateNotWeight ya’ll!
12. So OBSESSED with all of the fatshion ensembles I found on this gorgeous humyn’s account it was hard to choose – now excited to check out their feminist pop culture podcast, Fatties on Ice, ASAP!
13. This body positive fatshionista, @smotherteresa proudly showcases adorable yet cheeky looks on their instagram account, with hashtags illuminating the importance of visible-ising people of color (also making me want to gain a friend and shopping partner in this body positive and conscious humyn)!
14. I would call this look: “Wednesday Adams embraces polka dots & a splash of color”– and it’s really working for this stunning humyn, whose creativity radiates through each ensemble!
15. Enthralled by this image, which is an acknowledgement that all fatty babes can rock their styles even during the frigid winter months they may be enduring – Cassie is serving serious Snow Queen Realness here!
16. Alexis is giving us some vintage bliss with this look in one of my favorite color combos – turquoise(isn) and red!