#QuarantineCats Is The Break We Need From The Onslaught of Coronavirus News
Our cat overlords are confused, elated or straight-up fucking angry at us for being home. But blessed may they be #QuarantineCats Coronavirus stress relief.
I’m not gonna lie: my anxiety as it pertains to the coronavirus has been at an all-time high. With me depending on Twitter for news, every time I refresh the app, there are 130820372983289 new breaking news stories about what else has been affected by the global pandemic. On top of staying my ass at home, intensified paranoia has me washing my hands five times more than usual. My eczema is taking this time (where my hands are at their absolutely ashiest) to re-strike. As one of the few stress relievers I have left, I have taken to The Sims 4 to systematically eliminate The Landgraabs and redistribute their funds to my starter sim family to make myself feel a tad bit better. And finally, I have always struggled with emotional eating since I hopped out the womb and so I am using the absolutely last fuck on Earth to prevent myself from going into my kitchen and eating everything. And I’m sure even more folks have it worse than me.
So, what’s a human being to do right now while they’re responsibly shut away in their homes?
Well, you asked and Twitter answered with #QuarantineCats.
To explain, one of the earliest tweets about the trending tag came from writer and historian Elle Maruska, who charged Cat Twitter with the task of bringing some levity to the rest of us by showing us antics from their cats—who are also stuck being quarantined:
The results, while varied, have been fucking hilarious. And for the occasion I will caption all these wonderful #QuarantineCats:
1. When utter boredom has you challenging your cat to a rousing and intellectual game of tic-tac-toe and your cat wants all the smoke:
2. When your cat is taking social distancing more seriously than you (or just doesn’t want to be touched, which…fair):
3. Who needs the GYM when you have this:
4. Live footage of an Aries and a Sagitterrorist being quarantined together (I’ll let you guess who is who):
5. This one is actually so hilarious that it needs no official caption:
6. Tabitha said READING IS FOR NERDS:
7. Godspeed to every cat owner who thought they’d be getting actual work done during this quarantine:
8. Counterpoint: And then there’s this cat…
9. Bean is bored…and so am I:
10. This is some of y’all this week finding out the hard way that you’re not actual introverts:
11. Me telling you to stay your goofy-ass inside during the quarantine:
12. When you finally catch your own tail day one of the quarantine and have no idea what to do next:
13. “I regret everything” personified:
14. It just occurred to me that mayhaps cats don’t like The Lion King as much as we’ve been previously led to believe:
Every single dollar matters to us—especially now when media is under constant threat. Your support is essential and your generosity is why Wear Your Voice keeps going! You are a part of the resistance that is needed—uplifting Black and brown feminists through your pledges is the direct community support that allows us to make more space for marginalized voices. For as little as $1 every month you can be a part of this journey with us. This platform is our way of making necessary and positive change, and together we can keep growing.