A Ritual and Medicines To Support You On Your Path To Your Purpose
The veil that delicately shields us from the ‘spirit realm’ becomes thinned as we transition to a time of reflection, introspection, quiet and the dark.
We pay homage to our ancestors. We recognize and give thanks to the ancestors whose names we know and those we don’t. We pay gratitude to the communication our spirit team constantly provides. We make the commitment to honour our purpose and bravely claim it, even through our fear. We believe that we are brought back to this earth for a grand reason and we know that we are able to give life back to lineage. Give thanks for our awakening. Ase.
“The veil is thinning, have you moved yet?” – Sab Meynert
We have been activated. Gateways and portals have been opened. You can feel the shift in your body; the resonance is changing, your vibration is raising. Many of us are getting sick from these opened gates and shifts, and the fact that the veil is most thin at this time of year is no coincidence.
The veil that delicately shields us from the ‘spirit realm’ becomes thinned as we transition to a time of reflection, introspection, quiet and the dark. This is Oya’s time — she flaps her skirts of change and catalyzes the winds of transition, while simultaneously opening the gates to the world of Our Dead.
As the days become darker and the moon illuminates our bridge to the ‘other side,’ we are encouraged to use the influence and knowledge of those who feed on our love to propel us forward. Otherwise, those that feed on our fear can latch on and take us down. We use our spirit team’s guidance to embrace ‘now’. To understand that the future and the past symbios to make ‘now’, and this is what we must seize to engage our purpose.
Understanding your purpose is the ultimate remembering, and from day one, our team has been seeking to open us up to that self-truth. They make it evident; we just have to allow ourselves to notice and have faith in the truth behind ‘coincidences’ and specifically placed messages. How does spirit speak to you? What smaller messages have you connected to read as a major lesson or teaching? In what ways do you feel ‘inclined’? What starts your heart to an excited and hurried pace? What makes the butterflies in your stomach take flight? What calls you to its practice? These are all prime indicators of our passions; we remain connected to past life memory by the things that we are attracted to in this life. Trust that knowing.
Purpose is large-scale. It is the working of your gifts for the betterment of your lineage and that of our humanity. How can you see your gifts and passions woven into the interconnected web of our resistance work? Of our work for our thriving? Jupiter has entered Scorpio, and will remain there for a year. How can you manifest your passions? Physical and spiritual? Emotional bonds are being tested; how are they propelling you into your purpose? How can we create manifest and share our own prosperity? Contemplating this is the mark of creating abundance. Let this be your meditation. Return to it throughout the year. Allow Jupiter’s influence in Scorpio to resonate with all that you create and conjure.
Ritual for Pursuing Purpose
- Clean and prepare your altar with symbols that represent the harvest, prosperity & abundance, for you. Lay star anise at your altar as an offering to your spirit team. It has often been used in black folk magic as a medicine for connecting one’s dreams to truth messages from spirit. Each day when you wake, greet the altar and ask your team to offer you guidance on your path to purpose. Be specific with that request for guidance, the questions you have for this endeavor will become clearer to you with the daily understanding you gain.
- Prepare your dream water under the bed where you lay your head and ‘spirit’ it with white rum, bay rum or anisette (made with star anise). Write out questions you have for your team, anoint with florida water and place under the cup. This will open up your dreams for communication from your team. The more specific your questions are, the better.
- Boil bay leaf, anise seed, and white mustard seed in a tea for bathing (or drinking). Then add some dragon’s blood (if in resin, one chunk and if in liquid, 9 drops) to the mix before adding to a bath or for use in the shower. It will strengthen your work done in the bath, and the colour red helps to activate our spiritual strength. Call in your team. Ask your angels to protect you. The bay leaf is used to clear the mind and open up to message from spirit. The anise seed is to activate psychic abilities that lay latent or unfulfilled. The white mustard seed is for protection and to conjure good luck on your path through purpose. Add yarrow to protect the mind from crossing or being overcome by external vibrations of doubt. If you can wash in this for 9 days, it’s ideal.
Medicines for Pursuing Purpose & Maintaining Your Courage
- Traditionally used for controlling and protection, mullein aids in conjuring courage in its user. Place some in the shoes or add to your teas to help you stay brave as you follow your purposed dreams. It also works as a phenomenal tea for colds and anti-inflammatory for swollen limbs.
- Often used as a medicine for uplifting a weakened and saddened spirit, add to your cooking or boil into teas to engender courage of the soul and pull you from the depths of self-doubt. It will also support the kidneys, reduce bloating and serve as an anti-inflammatory.
- It’s a phenomenal medicine for protecting the electromagnetic fields of the heart and creating a barrier around your thoughts, such that constrictive ones do not intrude. Used in black folk magic as a medicine for quelling fears and promoting courage, yarrow can be carried in the pockets or used in ritual bathing with prayer to keep one from vibrating on fear.
Hot Pepper (Chili, Scotch Bonnet, Guinea Pepper)
- Used in ‘Four Thieves Vinegar’ and ‘Hot Foot’ recipes, hot pepper is used to generate action and move things forward. It keeps jinx off and enemies at bay. Keep it close in your diet to keep those who seek to cause you harm, or interrupt your path, away.
High John the Conqueror
- Used to aid in personal mastery, conquer fears, and engender commanding power, this root can help you walk tall and clear obstacles in your way. Dress road opening candles with this root (or an oil composed of it) or carry in a red bag with licorice root, dressed in high john oil, to foster and support your personal power. Add the oil to baths and anoint the body.
READ MORE OF OUR MAGICK AND HEALING COLUMN:
Every single dollar matters to us—especially now when media is under constant threat. Your support is essential and your generosity is why Wear Your Voice keeps going! You are a part of the resistance that is needed—uplifting Black and brown feminists through your pledges is the direct community support that allows us to make more space for marginalized voices. For as little as $1 every month you can be a part of this journey with us. This platform is our way of making necessary and positive change, and together we can keep growing.