There are thousands of online make-up artists to follow on Instagram and YouTube, but what about trans and gender non-conforming artists? What about artists who are welcoming towards us? We compiled a list of our favorite artists to look out for.
1. @brownbeautystandards – Don’t tell Tomi Lahren but Umber Ghauri is a professional make-up artist who specializes in working with people of color and LGBT+ people. Their goal is to decolonize our aesthetics and our minds by “creating a safe, creative and educational space for clients.” I can affirm that they do this with aplomb, their spirit is calm, healing and beautifying.
2. @vlad_theunicorn – Vlad is a queer non-binary artist whose work features smoky brows, chrome incisors, bold sharp engorged lips and the occasional unicorn horn. If ‘True Blood’ had a spin-off that focused on more subcultural influences then they would no doubt employ Vlad.
3. @jade_poncee – All hail the Queen of the contour! The Siren of strobing! The Baroness of baking! She is here to snatch all of the awards as well as your face. Jade is the kind of girl who keeps customers dedicated not just to the counter but to her specifically. The smoky eye is somewhat modernized under her supervision: purple and orange anyone? Full brows and soft shadows that make the angles of the face all aquiline. Her selfies are museum worthy.
4. @makeupby_bran – Brandy has been kind enough to bestow the honor of having us accompanying her on her transition. She has a no-nonsense approach to make-up. Even the most skillful looks seem attainable–whether glittery sci-fi or avant-garde couture banana yellow on dusky maroon, everything is within range for us.
5. @Poeticdrugs – The King Of Highlight doesn’t just slay multiple kinds of highlights and contours, their brow and eyeshadow technique is perfection. IG followers are constantly blessed with breathtaking photos featuring beautiful color combinations and styles.
6. @rosalynnemontoya – Blue, pink and white pastels never looked this good. Rosalynne Montoya is a proud possibility model reveling in her visibility. There is such a sense of achievement and happiness in the shots that Rosalynne takes, that we can only help but be inspired.
View this post on Instagram
🌸✨💋✨🌺 Festival Makeup! Products: MOISTURIZER: @cetaphilus daily face lotion 💁🏽 PRIMER: @benefitcosmetics porefessional mattifying primer 👌🏽 | @urbandecaycosmetics eyeshadow primer potion ⚗️ FACE: @toofaced born this way foundation in light beige and concealer in light 🌴 | @tartecosmetics shape tape in light sand 💛 | mixed with @josiemarancosmetics argon oil 💧 CONTOUR: @toofaced chocolate soleil bronzing powder in medium 🔪 BLUSH: @Narsissist super orgasm 🌺 GLOW: @limecrimemakeup hi-lite palette using pink 🌸 EYES: @anastasiabeverlyhills modern renaissance palette 🎨 | @limecrimemakeup hi-lite palette 🌟 | @urbandecaycosmetics heavy metal glitter liner in midnight cowboy ✨ LINER: @stilacosmetics stay all day liquid liner in black ✔️ @anastasiabeverlyhills waterproof cream in jet 🛩 LASHES: @toofaced better than sex mascara 🙌🏽 BROWS: @anastasiabeverlyhills dip brow in chocolate 🍫 LIPS: @kyliecosmetics kandy k 🍬 topped with @urbandecaycosmetics heavy metal glitter liner in midnight cowboy ✨ BRUSHES: @morphebrushes Vegan set 🖌 SETTING POWDER: @lauramercier loose translucent 🌫 SETTING SPRAY: @maccosmetics prep prime fix + 💦
7. @miles_jai – The gender blending afro-futuristic looks served by this star on the rise deserve so much more recognition for taking cosplay and manga inspired looks to another level of gender queer gorgeousness. Miles features candied pink sweetness with rich melanin skin illuminated as though kissed by the moon. It is obvious that there was an intense gestation period when they created themselves from a wide range of cultural influences.
Featured Image: @Poeticdrugs, @jade_poncee and @vlad_theunicorn