What to wear to your local zine fest:
On the top:
– The obligatory obscure band t-shirt. This one is sort of a two-fer since it is some famed graffiti (currently residing in Austin, TX) by 90s grunge star Daniel Johnston that turned into a t-shirt, that turned into a famed photograph of the late Kurt Cobain.
– Thrift-store cardigan. This one was given to me by my girlfriend in college. It’s navy blue and the absolute most perfect blend of timeless & vintage looking. It makes me feel like I just stepped out of the Halloween episode of My So Called Life and onto a Vogue photoshoot of the cast of MadMen.
– 1″ buttons of bands you liked in your formative years (and still do): The Weakerthans (I may or may not have a Weakerthans tattoo), Mirah (You Think It’s Like This, But Really It’s Like This – duh.), and just a random typewriter – because zines.
– Hand-made earrings. You or a crafty friend made them themselves. You may or may not get constant compliments on them leading you to believe: Why didn’t these sell better when I made them for my local craft-fair. The world may never know kid, the world may never know…
On the bottom:
– Plaid skirt you found in a thrift-store, free-bin or clothing exchange. It may or may-not have dental-floss sewn-on details, hand-screened patches, or been hastily cut-off to be shorter.
– Tights with holes in them. Done.
– Thrift-store shoes, the obligatory slip-on vans, or chuck-taylors (from-before-they-were-made-in-sweatshops).
Love you, mean it
P.S. Come see me TONIGHT at the Cal Academy NightLife Craft Fair hosted by Bizarre Bazaar. I’ll be tabling from 6-10pm 🙂