Next week, on March 22nd, it’s the OAKLAND RUNNING FESTIVAL!!! After annoying the Wear Your Voice team to death, they agreed to join me on the 5k run! Hey. HEEEYYY. I have a scathingly brilliant idea: you should join us! A 5k is nothing to be scared of and is great for beginner runners. Plus, you can look hella beautiful doing it…if that convinces you. Here’s how.
(If you’re not a beginner, join us anyway. We’ll be super supportive and praise you a lot.)
1. Waterproof Mascara. Let’s be honest, you are going to sweat. Maybe not a lot, but definitely a li’l. You don’t want streaks of mascara running down your cheeks to ruin that lovely glow. So waterproof that shit, chica!
2. Sunscreen. Since you’ll be workin’ up a sweat, you’ll want to keep the face sunscreen matte. My two faaave matte sunscreens are super (thanks for asking) and don’t sting my eyes when I sweat. They are Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen (oldie, but goodie) and La Roche Posay’s Anthelios 50 Anti-Aging Primer with Sunscreen (my current go-to, but pricey AF). My favorite body sunscreen, as you may know, is No-Ad Sport.
3. A Killer Ponytail. Keep in mind, your ponytail could be THE most on point ponytail at the beginning of the run…but, by the end? Not so much. The sport ponytail should be badass and functional. With cool braiding and shit. Here’s what I’ll probably do. It’s easy, badass and secure. Nothing is more annoying than your ponytail consistently sagging down during a run. Except your pants falling down. That is soooooo annoyin’ and harrible.
Step 1: Starting close to your forehead, begin inside-out braiding your hair.
Step 2: Stop halfway and secure with a clear elastic.
Step 3: Pull at the braid so make it look thicker and pull at the roots to make it just how I love it: Perfectly imperfect.
Step 4: Pull the rest of your hair up to meet the clear elastic and secure with a hair tie. THAT’S IT. EASY.
4. Love Them Stems. If this warm weather streak continues to this weekend, we will be sportin’ shorts at the 5k. So, when you hop in the shower before the race, use your favorite sugar or salt scrub to get your strong legs glowing. My current favorite scrub is Alba Bontanica’s Sugar Cane Body Polish! It smells delicious and gently, but dramatically smoothes your skin.
5. Eat The Right Breakfast. Eat breakfast a couple hours before the race so your body has time to digest. Don’t eat heavy foods like pancakes, eggs, and bacon — YOU WILL FEEL LIKE GARBAGE. I learned that the hard way. You’ll want to eat something that will give you the energy boost you need without making you feel sluggish or giving you stomach cramps. Stick with something small that you know won’t upset your stomach. A banana with peanut butter and a pre-workout energy bar will do the trick.
6. Stay Posi! I know that’s cheesy and silly, but when a run is killing you…all you can do is grin, bear it, and know that you are going to feel amazing when it’s over! But, also, you know, listen to your body. Please don’t pass out or pull anything.
WE’LL SEE YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE THERE!
We’ll be the people in the Wear Your Voice tanks having the most fun. Well, the rest of the team will be. I’ll be the one in the Wear Your Voice tank working my ass off to either PR or just finish under 30min (don’t make fun of me, I’ve been sick, damnit).